December 05, 2009

miscellaneous beauty


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, most of us know what happened to Lot's wife when she wanted to be "worldly" and look back at Sodom.   Yes, God turned her into a pillar of salt.   Hey, but she had fair warning not to look back...

Soooooooooooo, here's the story:
By now you probably know I spend a fair bit of my free-time down at Rodeo Beach -- oh you know -- enjoying the surfers, beachcombers, and the setting sun.   Usually on my way back to civilization I stop near the top of the hill and look back at the aftermath of what I've just witnessed down at the beach.   Sunset colors fade and the mood of the sky changes towards darkness.   It's always worth a look back, if you're worldly like me...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Yesterday I found myself out at Lagunitas Creek -- another of my hangouts -- and although I completely struck-out trying to capture the beautiful water, I did manage to snag this shot.   Oh, I like it but don't know if anyone else will.

Not having my tripod with me for a steady shot in the low light, I decided to break all the rules and shoot at ISO-1600 despite the promise of noise.   1/60th second, wide open at f-4 with my 70-200 "L" zoom.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And after my little romp at the Lagunitas Creek I stopped by another of my favorite places -- Roy's Redwoods, near San Geronimo.   In a few months beautiful blue and white Douglas Iris will sprout from this mass of leaves.   I'm looking forward to it.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

photowannabe said...

Well, I like these a lot. The first looks like a watercolor mosaic. It would make a great greeting card.
Stunning header of the barn too. I love barns and never can photograph them. It seems there is never a place to stop and capture the scene.
Sometimes looking back is ok!!

Marcie said...

Love the graphic simplicity..the shapes in the main image. Wonderful composition!

Katney said...

You don't have to worry--we like it.

AphotoAday said...

WELL THANKS; PHOTOWANNABE, MARCIE, AND KATNEY...
Appreciated the input -- really fuels my tank. T(h)anks.
Don.

 
under construction