December 04, 2009

into the clouds


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The ridge on Mt. Tamalpais is a popular place for hang-gliding -- it's about a 1500 foot drop down to a soft landing at Stinson Beach.   The scenery couldn't be any more spectacular.

On Wednesday I was up on the ridge admiring the huge blanket of fog covering the Pacific when I noticed a hang-glider preparing to launch.   If you look at the photo closely you can make out that there were two people riding piggy-back.

Now, I'm still scratching my head about this, but these adventurous souls flew straight into that thick bank of fog and I have absolutely no idea how they navigated through it.   I doubt if they had radar on-board, and fiddling with a GPS unit on the way down sounds just a bit sketchy, so I hope they made it safely -- didn't see anything in the newspaper headlines so I guess they did.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is the last I saw of them...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Beautiful, isn't it?   Not much fun to drive through, but the hang-gliders seemed to be having a good time.   Hope they managed to find the beach.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

photowannabe said...

That is beautiful but it gives me the willies. Hated driving in it even when I had the white line to follow. Up there...no white line...

Brad said...

All three photos are awesomely beautiful, Don! Must be pretty neat (or scary) flying through that fog. Wonder if many snap pix from up there?

AphotoAday said...

HI PHOTOWANNABE SUE --
Yes, with you having lived in Pacifica and me growing up in Pacific Grove, we both know ALL about fog, now don't we... I was about 16 before I knew the sky was supposed to be blue most of the time...

AND HI BRAD --
Well, when I get a comment from you, Brad, I know I have succeeded... Everybody should check out Brad's CitySnaps website -- there is a link on my sidebar...

 
under construction