August 25, 2012

round, vertical, square, and thin


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Who would have thunk... A round image... My first...
Lenses see circularly--it is only the configuration of the camera that gives the "box". The eye sees circularly too--I need to make more circular photos.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I seem to be turning my camera "sideways" a lot more these days.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Squares are cool... Facebook works better with square photos (maybe you've seen how they crop the ends off horizontals). SmartPhones produce square images. I predict square photos will be the wave of the future.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

About a year ago I had the opportunity to do an hour-long critique with Brooks Jensen who publishes LensWork Magazine and is a master of the lens. He went through a stack of my prints, commenting and critiquing.

Among a myriad of suggestions, one important thing Brooks pointed out was how many of my photos could be improved by cropping off their tops and bottoms. So now, I have a new shape--"thin". Actually forces the eye to sweep across the image.


CLICK for new slideshow on my "BIG" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction