July 08, 2013

Photographing Marin County -- Mill Valley Library in July -- Donald Kinney shares his thoughts on his own exhibit.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, it all started about 4 months ago when the IndependentJournal gave me a mention in a list they were preparing on local blogs. A friend who works as a staff photographer at the IJ suggested they give me a listing [thank you very much Alan Dep] and before I knew it Kathy Wilhelm of the Mill Valley Public Library had checked out my blog, apparently liked what she saw, and invited me to show my photographs in what they call their "Art Walk" on the lower level of what must be one of the most beautiful libraries in the world. So, that my friends, is how this exhibit, "Photographing Marin County", came to be. My very first one-man-show!


breaking news:
I decided to swap-in some more bedda diptychs, 6 better photos and more suitably paired. Quite remarkable how taking out the worst improves the overall selection. I think the prints look good, if I do say so myself. I'll be updating the images on the Photographing Marin County website soon.
................below are 4 of the 6 replacements:

click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney




to diptych/triptych or not to dipthych/triptych; that is the question...
But what do I know about selecting and hanging an exhibit? All I knew is that I had a relatively limited amount of wall-space and my desire was to display as many photos as I possibly could. I must have approached the problem mathematically, with tape measure in one hand and the power of "x2" in the other. It didn't take me long to compute that I could display a whopping 44 prints by displaying them as 16 diptychs and 4 triptychs; all in 14x20 Nielsen frames, with thick rag mats and glass. Piece of cake.

The question all along as been if the exhibit would appear crowded.
And it could be. Again, space was the key factor--being able to display as much of my work as I could.

But you know, my good friend Nancy Ewart saw the exhibit on Friday, and while she always gives me top marks for my work, she did suggest that the diptych and triptych idea just might not be the best way to display my photos. And I tend to believe that Nancy might be right. And after having to pair the ones hanging, I now realize what a challenge combining two or three images can be. After all I'm not actually in-to diptychs or triptychs, it was just a space-consideration kind of decision. Maybe for my next exhibit I will try bigger and single prints, on walls with lots of "whitespace". Some place big, so I can show a lot of work.



click photo (above) for Google road map of Mill Valley
Oh, did you hear?   I've got photos on display at the Mill Valley Public Library!   I realize that many of you live at great distances, unable to attend the opening on Tuesday, so if you can't be here in the flesh I'll invite you to be here in Spirit. A bunch of friends; some whacky dudes and gals, and even some relatives I haven't seen for 10 years have said they will be stopping by. I still have people I need to invite, but consider yourself invited. RSVP not required. I'm going to bring wine for all of you alcoholics. Yuck, yuck.

Even a lot of people who can't come have been sending the nicest notes. Notes of congratulations. Pats on the back. I had to go buy a larger hat size.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my main website; www.photoarrow.com.

CLICK for preview of my exhibit at Mill Valley Library during July 2013.

1 comment:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

What a monumental task, or so it seems to me. Frames and matting don't come cheap either. Good on you Donald.

 
under construction