July 05, 2013

Fireworks! Marin County Fair, 2013


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Recently I joined S.F. Street Photographers Facebook Page, a group with a wide range of skill-sets, from beginners to hopelessly addicted shutterbugs. Yesterday someone asked for input about camera settings when shooting fireworks--and a wide range of techniques was shared.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Having been to the Marin County Fair the previous night I shared how Donald Kinney goes about it, but really--there is no one right way to snap fireworks.
I wrote: Okay, being a contrarian I do it a bit differently. ISO-6400 (yes there will be noise), f-8 to help with depth of field, and AperturePriority and I let the speed land where it will. I noticed my speeds ranging all over the place depending on the brightness of the explosion, from 1/30th to 1/250sec. I don't mind jiggles and I will do anything to keep from using my tripod. I shot at 200mm on full-frame sensor. Shot 700 snaps in 30 minutes, of which only about 20 might be potential "keepers".



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, okay, enough about photography. I hope you and yours had a great 4th. Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?



CLICK for 40 new photos on my main website; www.photoarrow.com.

CLICK for preview of my exhibit at Mill Valley Library during July 2013.

No comments:

 
under construction