July 09, 2013

4 that were hung - Marin County Fair 2013


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Lugging around a tripod isn't my idea of fun, so I use my three-legged monster reluctantly--only when absolutely necessary. I can usually find some steady object to brace the camera and lens. For this shot (above) a fence-post made a great impromptu pseudo-tripod.

Location: From McIssac Ranch at intersection of Sir Francis Drake and Platform Bridge Road. That is Elephant Mountain, (a.k.a.: Black Mountain) in the distance. The horse was cooperative and the birds were unexpected. Everything sort of came together. Thanks to Steve Kimball of "Digital Light Rain/Digital Image Magic" for the $100 gift certificate on this photograph (above) which won their "Special Award" and came with a big ribbon.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Easiest shot (above) in the world to photograph. Taken from right outside Fairfax town limits at the beginning of the twisty "Fairfax-to-Bolinas Road" that meanders up and over our scenic and beloved Mount Tamalpais. Most mornings I find no clouds or fog, but at other certain times Mother Nature puts on quite a show. Usually early--very early in the morning.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Who doesn't like ripples? A fingerprint perhaps here. A fleeting piece of art.

I can do a bit of bragging here and report that the renound Brooks Jensen of Lenswork Magazine fame--mentioned this (above) was probably the best image he had seen after a long day of reviewing the portfolios of 9 others. Two years ago I jumped at the opportunity to have him critique my work, well worth the $95 fee. Brooks is the one who showed me how I could crop off the tops and bottoms of many of my images, broadening the sweep of the eye and essentially making panoramas out of them.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And here (above) is MY personal favorite. No prize or ribbon on this one, but it did get selected to be hung, which, at the Marin County Fair is a major accomplishment in itself. SO many good photographers in Marin County--so many far better than me. And there was a huge number of submissions this year. Limited space in the exhibit hall. My hat is off to all the volunteers who helped get the exhibit sorted out and hung.



click photo (above) for Google road map of Mill Valley

reception/opening tonight


Oh, did you hear?   I've got photos on display at the Mill Valley Public Library!   I realize that many of you live at great distances, unable to attend the opening on Tuesday, so if you can't be here in the flesh I'll invite you to be here in Spirit. A bunch of friends; some whacky dudes and gals, and even some relatives I haven't seen for 10 years have said they will be stopping by. I still have people I need to invite, but consider yourself invited. RSVP not required. I'm going to bring wine for all of you alcoholics. Yuck, yuck.

Even a lot of people who can't come have been sending the nicest notes. Notes of congratulations. Pats on the back. I had to go buy a larger hat size.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my main website; www.photoarrow.com.

CLICK for preview of my exhibit at Mill Valley Library during July 2013.

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Great selections. I agree with Brooks. And I am with you on your personal favorite also.

photowannabe said...

Love, love, love the selections.
The one of the horse and the birds is outstanding. You deserve the win.
Best wishes on your exhibit tonight.

AphotoAday said...

THANKS -- John... And THANKS -- p. Sue...

 
under construction