July 31, 2013

in search of heavy fog -- didn't find any


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I grew up in the little ocean-side town of Pacific Grove, so I am no stranger to fog. Heavy fog. Fog thick enough to cut with a knife. Fog so dense that visibility is measured in noses, not yards. Fog that can chill a boy to the bone. Fog so soupy and drippy that a certain young lad might have had second thoughts about not wearing his rain-gear.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, last Thursday I thought, surely, a massive amount of fog would be waiting, but I arrived at the twisty grove of Cypresses at San Francisco's "Land's End" only to find much less than I had hoped for. And yes, the trees were still artfully ghostly--just not quite enough "vapors" to evoke a mood.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

An adventurous hike took me down to Sutro Bath Ruins, where I have rarely seen such a low tide--revealing a wide and wet sandy beach. One old codger with a camera, one fisherman without much luck, and a plethora of gulls.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney



CLICK for 40 new photos on my main website; www.photoarrow.com.

CLICK for preview of my exhibit at Mill Valley Library during July 2013.

2 comments:

Sanam said...

The large banner photo just took my breath away…. Such clarity, charm and mystery cloud the photo that for a second I lost myself in its beauty and mist. It signals me towards a secret path untreaded and lurking in the midst of a thick forest. I’m in awe of the devotion with which you captured this moment Donald. It seems as if that moment is frozen in time. Amazing!

DbaiG
Bolee.com

AphotoAday said...

Thank you Sanam -- that is very encouraging to me.

 
under construction