February 18, 2012

sunrise over San Pablo Bay


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Although magicians never reveal their tricks, "Photoshoppers" are usually more than willing to show what they have up their sleeves. In this case I "squashed" the photo to about half it's height using one of Photoshop's new tools--Content Aware Scaling. If a particular section of the image contains little information, it is allowed to be compressed.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Another "squashed" image. Those clouds were way higher than they appear here.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But I only had to "squash" this sunrise a little bit, as the section I wanted to crop wouldn't fit my standard 5616x1872px "thin" rectangle.

Sooooooooo, here's the deal with these "thin" photos...
Several months ago I bought myself the luxury of having my portfolio and "body of work" reviewed by one of the world's most highly respected photographers, Brooks Jensen, editor and publisher of highly regarded Lenswork Magazine.

Brooks was holding a full day of one-hour portfolio reviews in Monterey. Brooks is a popular guy and in high-demand, but I somehow managed to get a spot due to someone else's cancellation. The review went well and Brooks liked my eye and what I was doing, but of course we talked lots about technical issues. I found out about my shortcomings--no shortage there--but Brooks gave me a plethora of ideas and suggestions.

But the largest thing I learned with Brooks was having him show me how many of my images could be cropped into a "panoramic" style. With print after print, he would cut off the top and bottom and the result would be the actual "meat" of the image. Apparently I see panoramically. And I didn't even know it...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I suppose a tall vertical image would be considered a panorama.
Tallness for emphasis. A lot of emphasis going on here, for sure...


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction