February 07, 2012

so, where is the sun?


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, by now you know I'm a big-sucker for colorful sunrises. I usually head down to Covello Point--within spitting distance of the Golden Gate Bridge--but Sunday morning I stopped along the waterfront in the up-scale town of Sausalito to snag this view. This vantage point is roughly two miles more distant from the "City", and from here Coit Tower doesn't have quite enough separation from the other buildings for it to stand out on it's own.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And I shot this view yesterday morning, looking east from above the aptly named Paradise Cay. In my opinion the best time to "be there" for sunrises is 20 to 30 minutes before the actual arrival of the "ball of fire" when I've found that colors in the clouds are most intense.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, THERE'S that pesky ball-of-fire... This time, yesterday afternoon while I was exploring on the northern flank of my beloved Mount Tamalpais. Sort of a "Mackerel" sky going on here--I've been told that the famous poet, Blake, mentioned a Mackerel sky in one of his poems because Blake thought skies like this were similiar to the skin of Mackerel fish. Sometimes I mention this tidbit of information just to give people the impression that I am "well read"--but regretfully, nothing could be farther from the truth.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction