October 12, 2008

tracer smoke


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm going to spare you my Army stories for now, but back in 1970 I was drafted.   Somehow I was picked to train on a ground-based mobile heat-seeking missile system -- deadly accurate for shooting down jets.   I'm a fairly peaceful guy these days (always was), but those Blue Angels would have been easy-pickin's...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Flying Solo said...

I love this!
I wish i'de see them too.

Tomate Farcie said...

Upside down!! Pfewww... I wonder what kind of food these guys eat and how they keep in shape? You obviously have to have a very strong stomach to be able to pull these stunts.

OK, now you can tell us, Don, exactly what kind of lens does it take to get that clear of a shot? ;) I looked at what you posted yesterday and looked at the shots I got today, and there is just NO COMPARISON! :)

Well done!

AphotoAday said...

***Hi TOMATE FARCIE,

Oh yeah, my lens -- it's a Canon 70-200 zoom, f-4, Series "L", with image-stabilization.

The Series "L" is their top line, although if I really wanted the VERY best I would have bought a set of non-zoom "prime" lenses, but besides the prohibitive cost, changing lenses all the time introduces pesky dust into the camera.

My Canon5D has what they call a "full frame" sensor, while most other cameras have a sensor about half the size. A full size sensor is a great advantage, however you get less magnification (no crop factor) when using the larger sensor.

If I ever get rich I'd like to get Canon's 500mm lens, but that isn't going to happen any time soon... I'd also like the new version of the 5D, the Mark 2 with 22 megapixels -- it'd make great large prints... Fun to dream anyway...

 
under construction