October 18, 2008

San Francisco from SS Balcutha


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is the Balcutha, a wind-powered metal-hulled shipping schooner now docked at the Hyde Street Pier.   In the mid-1800's, although steam engines had arrived on the scene, many shipping companies still relied on wind-power as a way to save money.

CLICK here for an interesting article about the Princess Taiping a visiting Chinese junk.   One of our loyal readers, Tomate Farcie, mentioned it -- and yes -- I did see it, bright and highly decorated, and it was doing some maneuvers in the area of the Hyde Street Pier, but I didn't have a clue that it was a new arrival from China.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

2 comments:

Tomate Farcie said...

Great shot! (I'm blushing)

Marvin said...

As I prematurely said yesterday, I really like this photo, especially the contrast between the old mast/rigging and the new of the SF skyline.

I think I'd prefer crossing the Pacific in the Balcutha rather than the Princess Taiping -- but a jumbo jet would probably be best for this landlubber.

 
under construction