March 16, 2013

spiral staircase -- Mechanics Institute, S.F.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Mechanics' Institutes were originally formed to provide adult education, particularly in technical subjects, to working men. These days the scope of subjects is wider, and they even allow women to join. On Thursday I got to visit Mechanics Institute Library in San Francisco, a place I hadn't been inside since my teens. My most pleasant and accommodating guide was library member and Bay Area art writer Nancy Ewart of Examiner.com.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Of course, here, for me, it was all about the staircase. A few months ago I was up and down this staircase with my other good friend "French Twist". We learned a few interesting things about the staircase from Architectural Walking Tour guide Rick Evans. For instance; the lower portions of the staircase are finished with marble tile, while the upper portions of the stair-treds are simply undecorated metal.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Looking up...
Now, a serious photographer would have made arrangements to use a tripod with these shots. I've seen splendid photos of this staircase over the years.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Other circular objects a few blocks away. Believe me--they're everywhere...


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

1 comment:

Nancy Ewart said...

Thank you for the "shout out." It was an absolute delight to be "accommodating" to such a gentleman. Next on the list is the upcoming Ginsberg show at the CJM!

http://www.examiner.com/museum-in-san-francisco/nancy-ewart

 
under construction