March 06, 2013

BIG milk, BIG rock, BIG film


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Here in Marin County milk has always been BIG, and is still the county’s leading agricultural product. But one brand you won't find today is Lucas Valley Milk, although I remember it well from when our family visited Grandma who lived in Kentfield, not far from where I live now.

Remnants remain, like this large advertising sign painted on one wall of Lagunitas Grocery. It is peeling and faded, but still definitely hard to miss.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

At the crest of the hill in Lucas Valley, on the old Grady Ranch which produced Lucas Valley Milk, is "BIG Rock", which for years was repeatedly plastered with graffiti by local hooligans. Nowadays it is fenced, illuminated at night, and watched 24-7 by video cameras. George Lucas' BIG empire, Lucasfilm (no relation to the valley's namesake) bought this land in 1970 and has kept "Big Rock" free of malicious and superfluous decoration ever since.

All that security didn't stop me the other day when I decided to make a mirror-image of my photo. We hooligans still have our ways of having fun.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Ah yes, Lucasfilm... One of Marin County's BIGGEST employers and contributor to the tax base. This is only one-half of their empire here in Lucas Valley. The other campus is located 4 miles west, on yet another former dairy. Lucasfilm also operates another BIG facility located at the Presidio in San Francisco. Lucasfilm was purchased by Disney in 2012.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

2 comments:

AphotoAday said...

got a pretty good chuckle out of THIS bit of spam^^^... Yeah, music... What I need on this site is music... Not a bad idea... AND I really DO need a job, so I guess I might as well check into garden center jobs, although Houston is quite a long commute for me. Yuck, yuck.

Nancy Ewart said...

They will try every trick, won't they? But don't more to Houston - boring scenery and way too hot for somebody used to our more temperate climate.

 
under construction