March 07, 2013

Pet Cemetery -- Presidio, San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Grave markers in the Presidio Pet Cemetery date back to the 1950's when the Presidio was home to hundreds of Army families. Although the nearby National Cemetery looks after this Pet Cemetery, it is entirely "un-official" and no records are kept.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Military people have hearts too. The cemetery is the final resting place for their fish, birds, dogs, hamsters, rabbits and cats. The information sign says that numerous legends surround the cemetery. Some historians believe this was originally a burial ground for nineteenth-century cavalry horses, and some believe this was a final resting place for World War II guard dogs.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The new Presidio Parkway (Doyle Drive) project has taken special care to protect this beloved pet cemetery, which has been designated by the State of California as an environmentally sensitive area as well as an important cultural landmark.

During construction, several heavy duty 105' I-beams were placed directly overhead and covered with timbers to prevent any debris from raining-down on the graves. That "falsework" has almost completely been removed now, and soon the gate will be unlocked. Since I could not gain entrance I had to shoot these photos through the chain-link fence.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

The one marker in the background "Our Knucklehead", I haven't heard that term in decades. My granduncle used to call me a knucklehead. Never understood it, but will look upon it as a term of endearment.

Anonymous said...

Sweet wave splash .... caught at just the opportune moment.

JB

photowannabe said...

Haven't been by the cemetery in quite a while.
I'm so glad it has been preserved. I was afraid it would be demolished.
Lots of memories for my Hubby there.

 
under construction