March 08, 2013

grand beauty at Rodeo Beach


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I know I'm having a good day at Rodeo Beach when I not only come home with dry feet but a fairly graceful splash as well. On Tuesday the radio was warning of what they call dangerous "sleeper waves", so of course when I hear THAT, it is pretty much like a moth-to-a-flame.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Along the way I stopped at Rodeo Lagoon. Backlighting adds contrast and drama. A wider than normal lens opening gave me "selective focus", which is more or less, I think, how our own eyes view the world.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The wind was whipping these Calla Lilies like there was no tomorrow. Most photographers might not consider shooting vegetation under such conditions, but again, I opened up my lens wide for a fairly fast shutter speed, while not fussing a great deal about what might or might not "come out" sharp. Snap!


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Oh gee whilikers, I wish I had taken that banner shot. EXCLNT! Provide details tomorrow as to how you pulled that one at of the bag.

AphotoAday said...

Thanks SINBAD'S DAD (JOHN)...
That one was an easy one... Will fill you in tomorrow.

photowannabe said...

Love the Calla Lilies. Perfect focus.
The splash caught mid curl is awesome too.

 
under construction