April 08, 2011

pointy buildings and pointy heads


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm as old as dirt, so I remember the grand controversy during the planning stages of "The Pyramid", otherwise known as the Transamerica Building. Everyone cautioned that The Pyramid would dominate the area and the San Francisco skyline, and guess what -- it does.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The first photo was The Pyramid from an alley off Broadway Street, and this is The Pyramid's western flanks as seen from Chinatown.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As I mentioned, I'm as old as dirt, so I have to admit that lustful signs have slightly less impact on me these days, but I like to take photos -- just for the memories...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Unfortunately my brother died in the 1970's, but until then he was a HUGE fan of jazz -- playing in jazz trios, mostly in the Monterey and Salinas areas. But Northbeach was definitely a place he enjoyed hanging-out and making-the-scene.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Pull up a chair -- there is plenty of room.
How about a drink while we're waiting?




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I saw a good episode of California's Gold with Huell Howser on the PBS about the Transamerica building. Told of the controversy, history behind it, pictures of the construction and did a tour all the way to the pointy top where few ever get to go.

photowannabe said...

I sure enjoy poking around "your world" with you Don. There is always eye candy for me.
Sorry I have been off the radar lately. I had a great trip to Nashville and then came home sick. I believe I'm finally back among the living.

Tomate Farcie said...

Before 9/11 anyone was allowed into the building. They had cameras on top which you could manipulate with buttons and monitors from downstairs (they stopped letting the public upstairs in the 90's , I think). Before that you could still go up and watch the view. Now you can't even get in the building unless you have business there.

 
under construction