April 03, 2011

Art at old Nike-Hercules site, Marin Headlands


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, you know me, I never can resist sticking my lens in somebody's window -- just be thankful I don't lurk outside YOUR house.

But on Friday while shooting the silo doors of the Nike-Hercules launch area at Point Bonita (see below) I decided to check out the old barracks that served as home for Army personnel who manned the site up into the mid 1970's.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I did a swell post on the Nike-Hercules installation a while back -- take a look at it by clicking here.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Take the free tour and you get to ride the missile elevator, with the missile, down into the missile storage facility. Everything slides around on tracks and rides to the surface (quickly) on elevators. Local volunteers have restored the facility and give chilling talks about the nearness our country was to nuclear war a few decades ago.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Gracefully sculpted eaves -- a bit of style for an old military building.




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

As yesterday for the banner shot, I like the artist's window shot. Looks like a perfectly staged still life, even though it was not.

Scott Law said...

I'm guessing that the art studio is still in use by the volunteers. I think that was my favorite shot of the bunch.

 
under construction