July 27, 2012

grapes of Los Carneros Region, Napa Valley


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With yesterday's post, I was already at the "top of the bay", which also denotes the lower part of Napa Valley's Los Carnaros grape-growing region.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Carneros AVA) is an American Viticultural Area which includes parts of both Sonoma and Napa counties in California, U.S.A.. It is located north of San Pablo Bay.

The proximity to the cool fog and breezes from the bay makes the climate in Los Carneros cooler and more moderate than the wine regions further north in Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley. The cooler climate has made Los Carneros attractive for the cultivation of cooler climate varietals like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Many of the grapes grown in Los Carneros are used for sparkling wine production.

Receiving its AVA status in 1983, the Carneros area was the first wine region in California to be defined by its climate characteristics rather than political boundaries. (source: Wikipedia)



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

They're still a bit bitter, if not downright sour. I'll keep you posted.


CLICK for new slideshow on my "BIG" photo website.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

No vote availible for todays header shot. I like it and that square format is unusual. Did you pull out your old Polaroid?

AphotoAday said...

Hi SINBAD'S DAD -- I've decided to give the poll/voting a rest for a while, but appreciated everyone's input.
That is a new photo -- several liked it when I had it on Facebook a couple days ago. I've been doing a new "feature" on FB recently that I call "Hot from the camera",

 
under construction