August 12, 2011

sculpture at Legion of Honor


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh crap, here I go again--I'm going to get all political on you. Seems like every time I mention ANYTHING political I lose approximately half of my visitors to this blog.   C'est le vie...

But like it or not, seems like "honor" has a lot to do with killing or being killed. But we as a nation DO like to ride around on horses with swords, now don't we?



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Yes folks, this is the Legion of Honor at Land's End. It was built early in the last century with money from the Spreckles family fortune--Mr. Spreckles had the corner on the sugar market. Spreckles accumulated vast sums of money, which his wife had a penchant for spending on priceless European art, including a fine but rather cold and heartless building to house the collection.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With apologies to all the very fine Rodin works inside, I think my favorite sculpture at the Legion of Honor is the one that seems to have been banished to the outdoors, almost buried in shrubbery on the left side of the museum.

On my blog post of October 5, 2009 I was wondering what this sculpture was all about--there is no label or inscription--but good-old SF-Mike (Michael Strickland) had the information:
"The statue of Laocoön and His Sons, also called the Laocoön Group, is a monumental sculpture in marble now in the Vatican Museums, Rome. The statue is attributed by the Roman author Pliny the Elder to three sculptors from the island of Rhodes: Agesander, Athenodoros and Polydorus. It shows the Trojan priest Laocoön and his sons Antiphantes and Thymbraeus being strangled by sea serpents."



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, okay folks--here's where I'm going to get just a bit controversial.

I believe the American public has not been given the full truth behind the 9-11 attacks. Nor was an adequate investigation done at the time. I believe that people including Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney had prior knowledge of the attacks and allowed, if not facilitated the events to happen.

"Unbelievable" you might say--and yes, I so sadly agree. The problem is that the American public doesn't want to know the truth behind 9-11. All we care about is some concept of freedom that involves the price of gasoline. We are "screwey" and "screwed"! What we think is freedom is only an illusion.

Beginner's Guide to 9-11 Truth



CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Oh boy, you are going to stir the pot on that one. People think I am off my nut by the notion that we never went to the moon. Well, its always fun to mess with people.

AphotoAday said...

Hi SINBAD'S DAD -- Hey, I like that idea that we never stepped foot on the moon. But I remember way back when the Russians got caught faking a spacewalk -- they forgot to retouch-out a rope looped around one of the cosmonauts' feet.

But yeah, I know I'm pushing the limits here with my beliefs about 9-11 truth. Until about four years ago I thought the 9-11 conspiracy nuts were just that -- NUTS, but then I began to explore the possibilities. When I became convinced that we did not know the full story behind 9-11 my faith in this country was deeply shaken. Actually, I've been deeply depressed ever since. So, it's not like I am happy about this newfound truth. It has been a terrible discovery and I hate to see the pains of others when they realize the truth. Maybe it would be better if we just go along with the fairy-tale that we were given. Would be a whole lot less painful that way.

 
under construction