November 02, 2010

Richardson Bay, Sausalito


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Yep, that's San Francisco on the left side of the photo.   But this is Sausalito on Richardson Bay, and believe it or not, during WW2 there was a very busy shipyard in operation here building "Liberty" cargo ships for the war effort.   My grandfather worked here at "Marinship" as a warehouse supervisor, as did Photowannabe Sue's father, who worked as a welder.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Ah yes, dinner time...   When you don't have a Safeway supermarket card you have to go out and round up your own grub.   Gotta be fast.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

An Egret and the mysteriously named Killdeer.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'd probably want to put a motor on this, but this Sausalito resident was out for a leisurely paddle around the many houseboats in the area.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I really like the bird photos. The stillwater reflections really make them stand out. Admitted, at first I got suckered in on the top set thinking it was one photo. "That's odd, I have never seen two egrets feeding so close together." You got me.

Erik said...

It's named Killdeer because that is the sound it makes.

Leovi said...

Beautiful photos with a great light. I like the reflections in the water. I like his style. Greetings

AphotoAday said...

Thanks SINBAD'S DAD for the comment and compliment. I finally found your blog -- don't know what took me so long. LOVED the story about your beloved cat.

And thanks ERIK -- you know, this morning I Wikipedia'ed Killdeer to get information on their name and yes they said the same thing you did. Still, I can't imagine how the bird's call could sound so close to the word "killdeer", so I guess I had better get out there and do some listening.

And thanks Leovi -- I was looking at your Abstract Photos blog just this morning -- wonderful images!

What Karen Sees said...

Good Morning Donald. Just found your blog....very nice, very interesting. I will continue to 'follow'! We were just in San Fran and Sausalito about a month ago and posted very different photos of that area on my blog!

photowannabe said...

Thanks for the mention Don. Makes me a wee bit nostalgic. Love your eclectic series of photos, especially the action shot of the "grub" hunter. Actually they are all pretty spectacular.

 
under construction