November 22, 2010

as promised, China Camp Village


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

John Wayne made a movie here -- if I had done my research I could tell you all about it.   You'll just have to use your imagination (how's that for sketchy reporting).



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But I CAN tell you that this is Frank Quan's canoe.   And this is where Frank has lived the past 85 years or so.   Again, if I knew Frank better I'd know his exact age.

To tell you the truth, most every time I say hello to Frank he looks at me like I'm some sort of nut (and that, folks, is a whole 'nother blog post).

But over the years I've gotten several requests from writers and other people interested in finding out more about Frank Quan.   I always have to tell them that I know very little other than he's obviously a very nice man.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, those darned barnacles -- they can really slow a shrimp fisherman down.   Yes, that's right, they netted Bay Shrimp here at China Camp starting way back in the 1860's when shrimp fishing was one of the few businesses Asians were allowed to own and operate.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With any luck you just may be able to purchase a 7-UP in downtown China Camp.   Frank usually opens up his mom's cafe on weekends for a few hours near noon.   I think Frank keeps the restaurant open so he can use it as his own kitchen.

Frank is an old bachelor just like me so we probably have lots in common.   I'd like to get to know him better, but like I mentioned I suppose he thinks I'm just the nut with the camera who is prone to taking unauthorized candids.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

I really like the old 7UP sign and all its rustiness. The barnacles are pretty awesome too. Love your unauthorized candid shot. What character lines.

 
under construction