May 02, 2013

up and over Mount Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As a lad our family lived on the Monterey Peninsula but we frequently made the 130 mile trip north to visit Grandma, who lived in Kentfield not far from where I now live here in Marin County.  (that is White's Hill in background)



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Grandma had a splendid view of Mount Tamalpais from her tiny bathroom window--and I always wondered about trails and roads that might ascend the mountain, but I am afraid all we did at Grandma's house was watch TV, eat, and go to Grandma's stinky Church if our stay included a Sunday morning.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Imagine my surprise when I was finally on my own--finding out what Mount Tamalpais had to offer. Not only did it have trails and roads, but a serious overload of beauty in its forests, lakes, and streams. My Heaven on earth!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And Mount Tamalpais is also a big "commercial" success. Over the years countless television advertisements have been filmed here, and undoubtedly you have seen glimpses of this area on the "tube" and in print.  The twisty undulations of Ridgecrest Boulevard are perfect to show the new models in their best light. Read more about car commercial filming on Mt. Tam here.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction