February 26, 2013

wind turbines at Montezuma Hills


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Okay, I will admit that I got rather excited when this scene opened up in front of me, but the more I look at the photo the less I like it. Contrails, although "arty", spew from military planes--crews training for the endless string of illegal wars that our government seems hell-bent in pursuing.

But welcome to the Montezuma Hills, a place few have reasons to visit, EXCEPT for dopey hunters who delight in blasting birds and call it sport.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

In my youth I frequently came here to photograph the low rolling hills with my 4x5 view camera. A more peaceful place is difficult to find. Montezuma Hills is west of Highway-12 between Fairfield and Rio Vista at the base of the Sacramento Delta. Wheat is a major crop here and sheep abound.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Forty years ago only a few experimental "first generation" wind turbines had been "planted", but today there are several hundred highly efficient 3 bladed windmills, a few as tall as 400 feet, spinning away, helping satisfy insatiable demands for electricity. Montezuma Hills gets more than its share of wind.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction