February 16, 2013

bright, black and white


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Black and white is an old friend. It takes me back to my youth. Singlehandedly, perhaps, my purchases of film, light sensitive paper and chemicals kept Eastman Kodak and the Agfa corporation in business.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Black and white, and hopefully a full range of tones between the two extremes. But I didn't take color out of these images--by shooting in the direction of the sun, this is how the tones appeared.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Some very accomplished photographers still carry on the tradition of black and white. Jan Bell, of Bell Images (winner of the Ansel Adams Gallery competition in 2011) uses the silvery tones in a way that seems entirely complete--where color would only detract from the dynamics of his stunning compositions. Jan's b&w work, including color, is at www.bellimages.com.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful words, Don. We both come from that 'early time' ... before the digital craze. It was a slower time, by necessity ... hours spent processing film and printing in a dimly lit room. While I'm glad that I was around to experience it, I'm thrilled to be a part of the digital age.

I welcome you all to take a look at my work, and even shoot off an email or two.

Happy shooting, and keep up the good work Don!

Jan Bell

 
under construction