January 18, 2012

a Eucalyptus stump kind of morning


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As I was huffing and puffing up a steep ridge at China Camp on Sunday I wasn't quite sure I would find anything to photograph or not.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But sometimes I just like to take my HEAVY camera out for a walk. And with the sun taking the chill off of a frigid morning it couldn't have been any nicer of a day.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Eucalyptus was brought to California from Australia over a century ago and was planted far and wide throughout the State, mainly to serve as windbreaks for farmer's fields. It grew straight and without many knots so at first it was thought it would make great wood for construction, but a few years down the road it was realized that Eucalyptus cracked and split so easily that it was totally unsuitable as a building material. Today it has a bad reputation as a fire hazard and has caused major problems, as it did in the major Oakland Hills fire-storm of 1991.

Being a non-native species, and the fact that few native plants choose to grow beneath it, efforts to eradicate Eucalyptus have intensified over the years. These stumps remain from when these trees were cut about 15 years ago--notice the splitting and cracking that has taken place in just that short period of time.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I like Eucalyptus. Thanks for your comments regarding my nighttime photos. Here's a couple points. I use a cheapy cable release that plugs into the micro USB port of the camera. No fancy $$$ electronic stuff here. Take a piece of foam for insulating water pipe. It is slit on one side and slips over the edge of the car door window and makes for a nice camera rest as long as it isn't for longer than one second. Picassa is still very limited when compared to full blown photo programs. I only use it to view my pictures and weed out the rubbish. I too wasn't please with the desaturation method for b&w, this is why I am doing all this learning of a better way. Have fun with the ladies underwear and try to not get caught. I am not sure if you could talk your way out of that one. Good luck.

DeniseinVA said...

I never knew its history, great photos, an enjoyable post, thank you.

 
under construction