July 11, 2011

long exposures at Rodeo Beach


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Although it constantly rolls around in the back of my car, I seldom use my tripod. Usually I can brace my camera on some available object if need be. But on Friday I knew I had to pack the tripod along if I wanted to get any shots in the weak and foggy early morning light.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Okay, here's the specs:
Six-tenths of a second on this and the next photo, and one second on the last. All at f-20, all with -1 stop of exposure-compensation, all at ISO-100, taken with a Canon5D, with the new generation of Canon's "L" II 70-200 zoom.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But enough technical talk. The morning was dramatic!
I had gone searching for fog, and suddenly realized that I had found way too much of it. But it was a different story at the beach. The fog was high, providing a soft lighting to the waves and shore.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I managed to get to the top of a huge boulder with a flat top. My tripod had a firm base. I thought of my good friend Jan Bell in Ohio who never goes anywhere to shoot without his tripod. Jan is a real trooper when it comes to "religiously" using his tripod. I WILL admit, though, that a tripod really helps get nice sharp images for really big prints.



CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

1 comment:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Don't shy away from the technical talk. Some of us could use the education. Also, start packing that tripod around more. You could benefit from the workout and it opens up a whole new realm of photographic opportunties for you. Great images!

 
under construction