July 15, 2011

Litto's Hubcap Ranch


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, with a lot of stops along the way and by taking the most surreptitious route possible, it took a lot of driving but I finally made it to Litto's Hubcap Ranch. As I mentioned yesterday, Pope Valley is in the middle-of-no-where part of Northern California. Roughly in Northern Napa County where they grow all that good California wine.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, I suppose if one happens to live in the middle-of-no-where they would, most logically, begin to collect hubcaps. Makes complete sense to me.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And it also makes complete sense that Litto's Hubcap Ranch was named California Registered Historical Landmark #939 on April 4, 1987.

The plaque reads; "This is one of California's exceptional twentieth century folk art environments. Over a period of 30 years, Emanuele "Litto" Damonte (1892--1985) with the help of his neighbors, collected more than 2,000 hubcaps. All around Hubcap Ranch are constructions and arrangements of hubcaps, bottles and pulltops which proclaim that "Litto, the Pope Valley Hubcap King", was here."




click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The VW hubcap I definitely recognize! I had a long succession of "V-Dubs" when I was young and poor, and I got a lot of use out of all of them. I even got quite proficient at doing engine work on my more unreliable "Roaches" -- pretty much a requirement if I wanted to go anywhere or return from where I had been. These days the mechanics of cars are way too complicated -- I'd probably have to do 3 or 4 web-searches before I would be able to change a tire.

And I don't think I even HAVE hubcaps -- maybe I should call the police!



CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Still liken that reflection shot a lot. Hubcaps are a piece of art in their own, as the Chrysler one shows. Not to be seen on cars of this time period though.

photowannabe said...

I think I would have worn my camera out shooting all the picturesque "stuff" at that ranch.
Good blog post.

 
under construction