May 16, 2010

National Cemetery, San Bruno


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It is absolutely staggering to view the vast expanse of graves at the Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, California, not far south of San Francisco.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But stagger is what I did, although I've been there a few times before.
It's always a large experience.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It appears to go on for miles, but it is actually only 161 acres, seemingly almost sadly adequate for 137,435 veterans, many buried next to their spouses.

A smaller and older National Cemetery is located in San Francisco at the Presidio. World War II came along and -- you guessed it -- we ran out of space...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful pictures!

ok said...

This is my favorite entry since I started following. So powerful.

Chris said...

I've been to Arlington, and it's the same. It somehow quantifies the immeasurable sacrifice young men make for our countries, in a way the number itself on a piece of paper just can't.

And I feel the guys and gals who are over there now don't get the respect that they deserve for what they are doing, not for themselves, but for the rest of us.

A flight of Blackhawks came thru my airport about a month ago (I posted a couple of pics on my blog: http://aphotoadayorbust.blogspot.com/2010/04/day-105365-blackhawk-down.html) on their way home to Alaska after a tour in Iraq and I got a chance to talk to (and thank) them. They are the real heroes in my eyes.

 
under construction