December 04, 2012

Point Bonita, Marin Headlands


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I swear, the light was like some Cecil B. DeMille epic...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

More than 300 boats ran aground near the Golden Gate during the Gold Rush years. After building the first lighthouse at the exact spot where where I was standing (306 feet), they realized in 1877 that the lighthouse needed to be lower, where it is now, at 124 feet above sea level. The lower elevation allowed the light to be seen father at sea. Fog forms a dense ceiling, but often there is a clear space nearer to the ground.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Our beloved City on her hills... Weather prediction; RAIN.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I found some SPLENDID, I think, graffiti plastered over a few decrepit concrete military bunkers in the area.

And if it IS going to rain, turn yourself into an octopus! Tread carefully.



CLICK for new slideshow on my "BIG" photo website.

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I liked your opening shot yesterday and still do this morning. Cecil would approve. Maybe even Ansel too.

AphotoAday said...

Thanks, John. Best regards, Don.

Anonymous said...

That just may be your most dynamic cloud shot to date. I bet you were filled with excitement while you were shooting (controlled excitement of course ... Don Kinney style).

JB

 
under construction