December 14, 2012

my bridge, the Golden Gate


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Most photographers have never heard of the rule enforced by the Golden Gate Bridge and Transportation District that "commercial" photography [offering a photograph for sale] of any scene taken while standing on property owned by "the Bridge", requires a permit to be purchased, retroactively if necessary, at the rate of $2000 per day. Believe it or not.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And so it went... A year or two ago the nice public relations lady at "the Bridge" sent me a polite but inflexible email informing me of the permit policy. Evidently "the Bridge" thought I sold a lot of my work--sadly not so.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Anyway, I hammered out a deal with "the Bridge" spokeswoman Mary Curry. I no longer have three Golden Gate Bridge shots on what I call my "big" site. And you aren't going to be able to buy these recent shots (above) either.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Sigh...  Oh the world is a cruel place.  Little does it know.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

1 comment:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I thought the GGBD ruling came out of their "fear" that one with a camera may be a potential terrorist planning to blow up the bridge. The last photo is a winner!

 
under construction