December 16, 2012

Northbay tracks and vines


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Thursday I boarded my little Camera-Express-Choo-Choo, and before I knew it I was pondering sights in the Carnaros region of Napa Valley.

I probably should have gotten an overall shot, but this is California Northern Railroad's lift bridge spanning the Napa River near Vallejo. That second image is a mirrored attempt--I really don't know what I was thinking...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A turning bridge spans the Petaluma River at Black Point. This is owned by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad, which has had a checkered past dealing with nature, age, and creditors in efforts towards keeping the line open.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Perhaps the most beautiful hill, ever, sprouts near Sears Point Raceway.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And here, with a view of my beloved Mount Tamalpais in the distance, you can see how close to "home" the Carnaros wine growing region is. This is the southernmost part of Napa Valley, influenced by the cool fog of the Bay.

With cooler temperatures the grapes have a few extra weeks of "hang time", giving Carnaros Pinot Noir its signature "strawberry-like" fruitiness.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction