September 29, 2012

I'll be back in 2 days -- Re-runs in my absence

I'm off on vacation, exploring the mid-California coast, eastern California, the Alabama Hills, Bristlecone Pine, Death Valley, and as far into Nevada as I dare venture, but I'll be back October 1 hopefully with a lot of new photos from my adventure.

Sooooooooo, I have scheduled 30 "automatic" posts for the 30 days of September. Didn't want you to forget about the blog while I was gone.

Here are two more KittyBLOG editions:






foggy pines, Hawk Hill, GGNRA

BLAST-FROM-THE-PAST
AphotoAday post from June 24, 2011


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A big "shout out" to my old high-school buddy, Tim J. of Buffalo, New York. In our correspondence over the years we have often discussed the foggy trees in our old hometown of Pacific Grove, California. If you want fog, you want to go to Pacific Grove, California!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The ethereal quality, of course is lovely -- but if you have to live in drippy fog day after day after day it can get just a bit depressing. Eventually webs begin to grow between your toes, and if you are so inclined you just might also start growing moss under your chin.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But I still love it. It's cool when the rest of the world is sweltering in heat. It's our natural air-conditioner, and it's FREE. Give me fog, give me lots of fog.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, as you can see, I had a delightful early morning up on Hawk Hill. If you want directions, it's the highest hill within the vicinity of the Golden Gate Bridge. You can't miss it -- unless it is shrouded in fog... Yuck, yuck...
NOTE:   Earlier this year the GGNRA decided that these pines were inconsistent with the original landscape. The day I discovered my beloved trees ALL cut down, was a sad day indeed. I contacted GGNRA HQ and they sent me a lengthy PDF explaining the natural ecology of the Hawk Hill area--its conclusion: cut 'em down. Email me if you would like to read the report.


CLICK for new slideshow on my "BIG" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction