August 26, 2008

old window, Petaluma Adobe


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Petaluma, California, about 30 miles north of San Francisco has a colorful past.
It's been called "The Eggbasket of the USA", and "Normal-town, USA"...   Street sequences in American Graffiti were filmed right there in downtown Petaluma.

But two miles east of town is an older part of Petaluma's history -- the Petaluma Adobe, which served as the center of General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo's 66,000-acre (100 square miles) working rancho from 1836 - 1846.   I recommend the two-dollar tour -- peek into the living quarters of the servants, workers, supervisor, and Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo himself.   See how they processed wool and tanned hides, grew and milled grain, and check out their authentic bee-hive ovens out in the courtyard.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

Very cool! I will definitely check this out if/when I get to Petaluma.

Do you have a favorite "ghost town" that you've been to?

AphotoAday said...

Hi Sparkle Plenty,

Good to hear from you...
And yes, I do have a favorite ghost town -- Bodie, at the top of the Owens Valley -- not too easy to get to, but a neat place...

Tomate Farcie said...

Petaluma!!! I was wondering what that window was! The older part of Petaluma (East, and the downtown area) is actually really pretty cool. I went through there 2 weeks ago on my way to the ranch and didn't have time to stop. I think I'll drive up there again pretty soon to see how much it's changed since the last time I was there and I will look for the tour you mentioned. Thank you!

becky aka theRAV said...

I visited my best friend in San Francisco back around 1988. I found a rubber stamp I really liked which was made in Petluma. I still have the stamp as well as the memories. Thanks for reminding me of it today.

 
under construction