August 11, 2008

foggy Golden Gate Bridge


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

One of my favorite vantage points on San Francisco Bay is the little spit of land at Travis Marina, out past Fort Baker on the north side of the bridge.   Early morning here is usually a treat -- groups of pelicans glide low on the water in small groups on their way out the gate towards their feeding grounds.   Other seabirds fly a bit higher, navigating around my vantage point.

Depending on conditions the City across the bay may or may not be visible, and the Golden Gate Bridge plays hide-and-seek with the fog as well.   This time of year we usually can expect foggy mornings.   Sometimes the sun pokes through early, but sometimes not -- it's a pleasurable experience either way...

I'm ashamed to say I can't identify them so please let me know if you can, but here's two of the local residents soaking up the beauty of the moment just below where I was standing.

click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the foogy picture of the bridge.

Kerri Farley said...

WOW! That is a stunning shot of the bridge! What a great vantage point!! I don't know what type of birds those are...but I love their little webbed feet!! Great work!!

kjpweb said...

Excellent! I can see why that's one of your favorite spots! I'm not a 100% on the birds - but I think they are immature Ring Billed Gulls.
Cheers, Klaus

Louise said...

A beautiful spot, and what a great capture of the bridge!

Anonymous said...

If I saw them here, I would say they were immature Herring Gulls.

AphotoAday said...

THANKS KLAUS AND AILEINI for the input...
I did some checking and they do look like immature Herring Gulls...   From the pictures I looked at, their appearance really changes as they get older... These seemed to have really large webbed feet...

There's supposed to be a lot of herring in the bay -- that is, when oil tankers aren't spilling their loads as happened about nine months ago... These critters seemed healthy, but one day I got to talking to a fellow who lives on his sailboat in Travis Marina and he told me that the oil spill had killed off a lot of the food sources for the birds, so many were starving to death...

Tomate Farcie said...

I'm sorry to hear the birds are still having a hard time, even months later.

You gotta wonder why they moved the ship at all that day. The fog was unusually thick that day, GG Bridge kind of thick.

I guess it's water under the bridge now.

Mary said...

Love the fog shrouded bridge -- beautiful!

photowannabe said...

Love the way you captured the Bridge emerging from the fog and the bridge lights are an added bonus.
Great shot of the local residents too.

Marvin said...

Love the way the top of the bridges disappearing into the fog.

Pat said...

Wow! Surprised no one said they thought there were fires on the bridge! Great shots.

Texas Travelers said...

Can't tell for sure, but the face and wing pattern are closer to an immature Ring-billed or California gull. Need a closer look at the feather pattern.

Nice shot anyway.

Troy

JP said...

Fire! Fire! That's what I first thought. (I've been in a fog-less desert far too long). It is an incredibly beautiful photo, well done.

 
under construction