August 17, 2008

Can you identify this wildflower ?


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Speak right up if you know the name of this beautiful plant...

NEWS FLASH !   --   Aileni knew:   Crocosmia or Montbretia





My parents had this plant growing in their yard in Pacific Grove, but this year it is growing prolifically along the banks of the Lagunitas Creek...   It's scarlet flowers open up from a progressive line of shoots, and droop downwards -- making for a lovely riparian display...
The bright scarlet and yellow color spice-up the riverbank...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, thanks if you can help identify this pretty plant...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its new name is crocosmia but my wife and I prefer the old one of Montbretia.
I photographed some in our garden this morning and posted it before coming your way.
The flower has been pretty much my top favourite for decades.

kjpweb said...

I love the fact that most of the time people can help out with ID's!
Isn't the blogging world a nice one?
Lovely Flower! Probably a magnet for Butterflies?
Cheers, Klaus

Louise said...

When I saw this flower yesterday, I was hoping you would feature it today. It is GORGEOUS! Glad someone knew what it was, because that's what I was hoping to learn yesterday.

photowannabe said...

Love the splash of color along the river bank. Glad you got the name for it. I never heard that name before, probably won't remember it so I'll just call it a pretty orange flower...

Mary said...

I love those flowers. I saw a lot of them in Ireland years ago when we visited... so beautiful!

Tomate Farcie said...

The first shot is fantastic. Great colors and composition!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I love the color of it in that first image! It really "pops".

 
under construction