August 12, 2008

giant mitt at ATT Park


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As a kid I used to love the game of baseball, and all of us in the vacant lot league used to get to get together for a challenging double-header, or two...   If we got worn out we might even let the girls play...   Keeping track of the score was problematic and could lead to some huffy arguments, depending on our mood...

But these days I am no longer much of a sportsman, and have only been to two professional games -- both at Candlestick Park -- one a football game and the other a baseball game, and both times "we" lost, so it really wasn't as much fun as it could have been...

This is the giant 27 foot tall mitt out in left field at the new ATT Park.   (yes, folks, if you have enough corporate money you too can attach your name to a stadium)   I'm not exactly certain what the giant mitt is supposed to represent, although the intentions of the giant Coke bottle next to it are obvious...   I understand that the Coke bottle blows steam whenever the Giants hit a home-run.   I'm only guessing here, but I suppose if the batter's ball is caught by the giant mitt he is out...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.


7 comments:

Louise said...

Terrific pictures of interesting subjects. And I found the commentary quite amusing. Was it cynical? Some of it seemed a bit so to me, which is part of why it was so amusing. As a younger person I loved sports, but it has mostly fallen away. Going to a game has no interest for me.

Marvin said...

I've never been much of a sports fan and my inclination to keep up with what's going on in the world of sports has not improved with age.

The glove looks authentic to me. I thought it was a real baseball glove in yesterday's preview. Great job with your capture.

photowannabe said...

My husband has been to the Park and thought it was pretty cool. The grandkids loved going down the Coke slide.
I'm not much of a sports fan either, I think they all get paid too much for what they do.
end of cynicism...terrific shots today.

Texas Travelers said...

I've never seen this.
Thanks for sharing.

I added a Dragon fly to my D's.

Thanks for the visit,
Troy

PS: I love the foggy bridge. Nice photo.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Heeh Don
We have somthing in common here , I love sports and esspecially baseball, nice gloves... and I love your series of today welldone!!!

Please come and see my ABC I posted some "d" ques what? Still in FRANCE of course.
Wishing you a good week?

Greetings from JoAnn

Sean said...

Don: I love the shots. I long ago grew a distinct distaste for ATT park (Along the same lines that I don't think you should build a whole team around one steroid using slugger, I don't think you should build a ballpark around one player. The way the field is designed is to showcase Barry Bonds), but I still love the pictures. I love baseball, so the mitt and the seal are great to see. But as for the the team that plays there...let me just put it this way - My three favorite teams are:
1. The Oakland A's
2. Anyone playing against the Yankees.
3. Anyone playing against the SF Giants.

Thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am impressed, Don. The baseball glove is really neat.

 
under construction