August 23, 2013

adventures in black and white


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The name "San Rafael to Richmond Bridge" might be more descriptive than imaginative, but beyond is Mount Diablo (Mountain of the Devil in Spanish).



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Mount Tamalpais area was, indeed, home to Coastal Indian tribes for 5000 years. Believe it or not, this mountain was so sacred to the Miwok that they would not climb to the summit. So the story goes; Coyote, the God who they believed created man, lived at its tallest peak.

Beware of erroneous information. The mystical Indian princess "Tamalpa" or "Sleeping Maiden" can be vaguely traced lying across the mountain top, but actually she originated at the 1921 Mountain Theater production "Tamalpa".


CLICK for 40 photos on what I call my "big site"; photoarrow.com.
CLICK for "Photographing Marin County"; my Marin County exhibit.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

I like the decision for black and white for the bridge.
I can see all the layers and shades of gray.
Your photography never ceases to amaze me.

 
under construction