June 12, 2012

San Francisco Art Institute


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Last Sunday morning I veered off my beaten path and took a side-trip to the San Francisco Art Institute on Chestnut Street.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

My first visit to SFAI was roughly 48 years ago. My brother and I arrived on his Vespa (he was a music student at SF State) and we took a look around. The large and dark abstracts in the galleries were a bit intimidating, and hippies conversing in the fountain plaza were a curious sight, indeed.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

SFAI was founded in 1871, and is one of America's oldest art schools.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

My instructor at Stanford Continuing Studies, Thom Sempere, also teaches here at SFAI. I found his photo lab in the bowels of the building and made this terrible shot (above) through the grating on the photo lab door. Down the hall and around a corner I found a more nicely lit photo gallery with some outstanding prints by students.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, let me explain... This is a place where if you behave yourself, you can walk around and explore quietly without any disruption, or disruption to others, a beautiful and historic building--if you get there kind of early on a Sunday morning. Later in the day on weekends students filter in. I understand they bite and have fleas.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction