June 01, 2012

my new book - Incense Smoke, part 2 of 3


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As I sort of explained in yesterday's post, these images are the result of my final project for the class I've been taking at the Continuing Studies Department at Stanford University. It's been quite an experience.

What follows is text taken from my "artist's statement", although I still steadfastly refuse to accept the title of "artist". Being simply regarded as a "photographer" is completely adequate, in my opinion.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

After ten years of photographing my beloved Lagunitas Creek, and after publishing the book in 2011, I thought it might be time to begin something new.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've often noticed the beauty of incense smoke and have wanted to record the mystery, so, 8 smokey sessions and 4000 snaps later I finally settled on the techniques used with these 15 images, negative and positive.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

My setup is simple, using a common halogen lamp for side-lighting. A black velvet background helps absorb extraneous light. Camera: Canon5D Mark2, 70-200 "L" I.S. II zoom. I was using f-5, 1/125sec, and the very high ISO of 6400. Noise was later reduced in CameraRaw and final post-processing was done in Photoshop.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

May this collection inspire you to experiment and stretch your creativity. May the images entertain. May the forms mystify. (((to be continued tomorrow)))


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This series makes me speechless .... simply incredible work Don! Wish I would have beaten you to the punch ..... nice going!!!

Jan

 
under construction