March 09, 2012

Roy's Redwoods - a Marin County secret


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Not far from the dividing line that separates the hustle-and-bustle of Marin County with the peace-and-tranquility of "west" Marin, is a gem of a Redwood studded sanctuary known as Roy's Redwoods. The Roy family settled here in the 1860's, which on a west-coast scale of time is more-or-less ancient history.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Roy's Redwoods is part of Marin County Open Space District, but is not heavily advertised and I would bet that the majority of Marin County residents have neither been here or have even heard of this place.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Roy's Redwoods is on San Geronimo-to-Nicasio Road, but most people zip right by not even realizing what a gem of a place it is.

So, it's the old dilemma of choosing which way to orient the camera, vertical as in this image or horizontal in the preceding. And of course the other decision is whether or not to use the tripod. Because of the inconvenience I've always had a love/hate relationship with my tripod--but of course for long exposures (at small apertures which produce the greatest depth-of-field) a tripod is necessary. For this image I abandoned the tripod, opened the aperture wide-open and did my best to hold the camera still for 1/30th of a second. Image-stabilization on my lens helps, but is not a panacea. Take your pick--full front-to-back sharpness in the preceding horizontal image (f-32 at 30 seconds), or the somewhat dreamy limited-focus quality in this vertical shot.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

1 comment:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Thank you for the lengthly comment on my recent post Donald. You touched on the main tools that I eventually learned, magic wand, inverting and blurring the edges. I just need to work with and practice them more. It was by the time I reached the point where I made a post about what I finally learned, I had had enough. I was tapped out. The histogram I have played with before but really don't know how to play nicely with it. I'll do as you suggested and search what you had to say about it. As for the Redwoods, I say full on in focus all the way.

 
under construction