March 07, 2012

Madrones


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Madrones are easy to spot because of their bright orange to reddish paper-thin bark. More normal looking bark usually forms on the side of the tree facing away from the sun.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

During the Summer growth period, somewhat like a snake shedding it's skin, this paper-thin bark splits and starts peeling, revealing a green trunk, which will begin turning the reddish-orange color. This is not a new photograph--I always tell you when they're not.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And these three images are not new either--I shot them about 8 years ago when I was just getting back into photography after a 30 year hiatus. They were taken with a great little advanced point-and-shoot camera--the Sony DSC-F717. For you equipment buffs out there, these days I use the Canon5D Mark2, with the second generation Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II "L" I.S. zoom. I think it's a wonderful lens, although it is heavy, expensive, vignettes more than I would like it to, and has quite a bit of barrel distortion.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction