March 10, 2012

Life in West Marin County


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Marin County is more or less a peninsula, surrounded on three sides by water--hence he name Marin.   (If I recall from one rather painful year of high-school Spanish) "marin" is a derivation of the Spanish word "marina", which translates into English as "marine". Correct me if I am wrong.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Okay, I'll admit it--they were paddling AWAY from the pesky photographer.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I tried to be a bit stealthier in my approach with these.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A fine duck having a fine morning swim in the pond at "The Cheese Factory" on Petaluma to Point Reyes Road. Visitors welcome. Free samples.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Man, are the Coho Salmon in Lagunitas Creek elusive. Estimates range as low as 200 fishies will spawn in the creek this year. Spawning season is from roughly December to April.

The Coho are endangered and Federally protected, but their numbers continue to decline. Early settlers in this area reported spawning runs in the thousands. Coho Salmon in the Lagunitas are protected, but of course it's the same old story at sea--overfishing and pollution--two prime suspects responsible for the Coho's decline.
Click for my recent post on Coho Salmon.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Quack... Quack... Swish... Moo...

And so there you have it--an abundance of life in west Marin County.
I've got my eye out for wildflowers--we're getting there.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction