April 09, 2011

China Camp, once again


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, we've been here before. In fact, I end up at China Camp all the time -- busy cities are just over the hill, but between my ears it is indeed a million miles away.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Except for the dock and some buildings obscured by trees this is pretty much the whole of China Camp Village, however the shoreline and bluffs extend for a total of seven miles.

Normally I zoom-in on my subjects, but with the magic of Photoshop I stitched three photos together for a panorama (above).



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Lucky me, because on Thursday I got to chat with Frank Quan -- normally we're both men of few words -- but we discussed the finer points of the chilly morning.

Frank, who is in his mid-80's, was in the process of firing-up his chain-saw to work on a huge pile of eucalyptus -- a tree fell nearby in the last storm.





click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A couple of Frank's old boats. The "shrimper" in the background -- the "Sea-Breeze" -- isn't going anywhere soon.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Frank's dock. It's the end of generations of shrimp fishing at China Camp. Populations of Bay Shrimp have diminished due to increasing salinity -- fresh water from the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers has largely been diverted for agricultural use in the Central Valley.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

No comments:

 
under construction