September 05, 2010

Salt Point - artfully eroded sandstone


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

People always ask me how this sandstone forms these intricate shapes, and I am no expert on geology by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe this sandstone's softer part is being eroded faster than it's more crystalized parts -- the crashing waves are more than willing to help out with the carving process.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I suppose if we were very, very, very small; this could be some landscape in the barren Badlands of the Mid-West.   Lets get small.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And lets get big.   A rock big enough for waves to crash into it until there are no more waves.   Eventually standing high and dry above where the sea used to be, or maybe deep underwater in a tidal zone inundated by rising sea levels.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But I would be remiss if I didn't explain why this Point has Salt as it's name. It's because of the regular old sea-water that takes advantage of all the scooped out depressions in the rocks.   The artfully formed basins make great evaporation pools.

Salt was gathered here by the native Indians and salt has always been a valuable trading commodity.   White settlers gathered it here as well.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Emmy said...

Breathtaking and beautiful! This is one of my favorite posts so far! Thanks you :D

Natural Stone said...

Thanks a lot for sharing information.... I think you are expert on geology. Sandstone has a natural look but sandstone exporter give it some stylish look.

photowannabe said...

Perfect Big and Small. Artistic.

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh I love those photos. I used to be a sculptor way back when and they remind me of some of my wood pieces. thanks for the memory!

Tomate Farcie said...

Amazing shots, Don!

 
under construction