September 20, 2010

it's Chinatown -- let's eat!


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On my walks through San Francisco's Chinatown I always feel a bit out of my element -- not a creek or tree in sight.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But, ah yes... It is all coming clear to me now -- the common bond here is food, and this looks an awful lot like chicken.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I know about three Chinese words, so I'd probably have to do a lot of finger pointing while placing my order. Hmmmm -- the overcooked string beans with carrots and tofu looks pretty good...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And as you may already know, the Chinese fortune cookie didn't originate in China -- Los Angeles is the birthplace of what we know as today's fortune cookie. It is actually a variation on a larger folded Japanese cookie that contains a random fortune or message.

Three billion cookies are made and consumed each year, but I assume that the production in this tiny Chinatown factory is just enough to pay the employees and keep the doors open.

I had never noticed the sign (in the upper right corner) which requests 50 cents per photo. I usually employ the "snap-and-run" approach in Chinatown -- I suppose I owe these hard-working ladies at least a buck-fifty by now.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

No comments:

 
under construction