June 13, 2010

aircraft carrier USS Hornet


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A few days ago I visited the USS Hornet, a WWII aircraft carrier that is now open to the public in Alameda, California.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

In 1945 the USS Hornet was home-base for planes making the first strikes against Tokyo since the 1942 Doolittle Raid. Wikipedia has the full history.

Jets didn't come along until later -- Miss June must have been a wild ride.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Visitors are able to roam through a large part of the bowels of the ship. I think the design of the massive steelwork is rather beautiful.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Very tight quarters on an aircraft carrier -- it's hard to imagine what it must have been like with 3500 stinky guys on board.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

photowannabe said...

I love touring these ships and planes. It really helps grasp history better. Like the utensil picture.

Chris said...

Cool. I was hoping to catch the USS Midway in San Diego this fall. I didn't know there was another aircraft carrier museum on the West Coast. Was Miss June a Corsair or a Hellcat?

AphotoAday said...

HI PHOTOWANNABE SUE, AND HI CHRIS:
And Chris, that's the Grumman TBM-3E "Avenger", a torpedo bomber built by General Motors. It has that massive front end similar to the Hellcat.

 
under construction