February 24, 2010

finding sunshine in Lucas Valley


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Monday morning I was on a quest for sunshine, which has been rather elusive in recent weeks with all this rain that we've been having.   And I found some -- right at the crest of the hill in Lucas Valley -- the spot is named  Big Rock after a huge boulder  that is hard to miss.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Here you can see the fog as it has almost completely dissapated -- but ten points and a gold star if you know what this set of buildings is.

Give up?   Well, you may have heard of George Lucas and LucasFilm -- that's the main campus, Skywalker Ranch, right there near the top of the hill in Lucas Valley.   And many people think the valley was named after George, but that is not the case -- the valley was named nearly a century before George Lucas was even born, however I wouldn't doubt if he was initially drawn to this incredibly beautiful area by his curiosity about the name.

This is the new LucasFilm campus -- there is another campus about two miles west of here -- I can remember the place from years ago when it was just an old dairy farm. And no, you aren't allowed to drive in and visit without an invitation at either location.

But yes, George Lucas is a local resident here in Marin County.   His home is not far from where I live over in San Anselmo -- it is not unusual to spot him out and about or zipping by in his limo.

Now, this post really shouldn't be about me, but maybe you'd get a laugh out of knowing that in the past 42 years I have been inside a movie theater exactly two times.   Forty-two years ago I saw Midnight Cowboy in which I thought Dustin Hoffman played a very convincing part, and about thirty years ago I saw The Empire Strikes Back but only because a buddy insisted that I had to see it.   Oh, I suppose I'd go to more movies if I could find a date to go with, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.   Oh hell, maybe I could find some really "must-see" movie and sneak my cat in with me -- she loves popcorn...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

AphotoAday said...

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT, SAID...
Best regards, Don and Kitty

Louise said...

You'll have to sneak in the popcorn, too. You'll faint when you see how much it costs. (Maybe they have senior discounts?)

If I ever visit you, I'll go to a movie with you... if there is a good one out... which isn't terribly likely... but we'll see.

I wish when I wanted sun I could just go find some like you did! I like the dissipating fog.

 
under construction