October 08, 2009

a walk around Chinatown


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

There's more to that Chinese inscription as you may have guessed, and to go with that beautifully designed gate I'm also guessing the inscription says something equally as beautiful.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is the time of year -- the Chinese Eggplant is in, and I can't pass it by without snapping a few photos.   It's so artistic and that vivid magenta color always grabs me.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With Halloween coming up, it's one hundred percent fun right now down at 100% Fun.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh lord -- just when I've been thinking of getting back on my diet...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Because of it's dreaded blown out whites I could have easily discarded this photo, and I didn't even attempt to salvage the high-values -- I thought it would make a good example to demonstrate a Histogram:



Notice all those whites bunched up against the right-end of the scale?   Those are all the blown-out high-values on the lady's face, collar, and hat.   When I see a Histogram like this -- knowing that corrections are hard to make and usually less than 100% successful -- often I will just discard a photo and hope for the opportunity of a re-shoot under more even lighting conditions.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

1 comment:

Tomate Farcie said...

I like the shot with the blown-out whites. Honestly, I didn't notice there was anything wrong with it until you pointed it out. Now that you mention it, the face could pop more and the colors could be crisper, but if you went to reshoot you probably wouldn't find the woman.

Can't really understand how to read the histogram. What do the vertical and horizontal axis represent? What would a desirable historgram for this shot look like? tx

 
under construction