August 21, 2009

Abbotts Lagoon, Point Reyes


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Getting out to the actual beach at Abbotts Lagoon requires nearly a mile walk on a sandy trail, but there's all sorts of interesting things to see along the way, like this large log of driftwood.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm always amazed at people who can name every plant and every bird, but I'm afraid I haven't a clue what the name of this beautiful plant is, but it's all over the place out at Abbotts Lagoon and the bees really seem to love it.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But I do know that this is a Pelican -- a genuine prehistoric creature for sure.   Occasionally, when the work load exceeds their capacity, Storks enlist the aid of Pelicans to help them deliver babies.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

photowannabe said...

(:0) Love that last statement...
I really like the bleached log, especially enlarged as your banner yesterday.

Louise said...

Do pelican-delivered babies smell like fish? Love the unnamed wildflowers. I would take a picture and eventually have to figure out what they were.

tangobaby said...

What a wonderful pelican! Great shot!

 
under construction