September 21, 2011

a visit to Monterey Bay Aquarium


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Being retired and feeling like the luckiest person alive, I woke up on Monday morning with the idea of driving the 140 miles down to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, a place I've been a few times before. In fact, long before the Aquarium was built, I grew up in Pacific Grove, just up the hill.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Ask me what my favorite exhibit is and I'll predictably say the "Jellies". That's a "Moon Jelly" in the negative-reversed image above.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Sardines and Anchovies were the prize of Monterey Bay in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's; but the fishermen were so good at netting them that overfishing is thought to be the reason why so few Sardines and Anchovies remain today.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Aquarium has an area devoted to John Steinbeck and his marine biologist friend (and good drinking buddy) from the 1930's; Doc Ricketts. That's one of Doc Ricketts specimens on the left, and a few of John Stienbeck's better known books on the right.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I had great fun watching the action from both above and below.



CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

2 comments:

Luzia said...

Phantastic!!!

Bob said...

Wow. Perfect. I've shot there and I know how hard it is to get good shots at the aquarium.

 
under construction